Choosing A Sup
Weekend Warrior Outdoors is the manufacturer and distributor for CMP Boards Australia. CMP boards Australia produces Stand up Paddleboards, Surfboards and Softboards. CMP Boards are designed in Australia to the highest standard, we will not compromise our brand for a cheap quality import.
It is vital for you to be aware that there are so many boards out in the marketplace and yes they may look pretty on the outside but it’s what you can’t see and the core of the board that is the most important element of any SUP. We provide you some details on what to look for in a board further on in our Guide.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT STAND UP PADDLEBOARD STYLE
1. ALL ROUNDER PADDLE BOARD
As the name suggests an All Rounder SUP is designed as a board that can do it all and is a perfect beginners choice! The all rounder style is our most popular board range due to the versatility this style offers. Whether it is flat paddling on the lake or river, or catching smaller ocean waves.
Our All rounder range is called the Cruiser model as that’s exactly what you can do on it! This is a perfect beginner’s board and available in various lengths from 10ft to 11.4ft. It is a very stable choice as its width between 31 to 33 inches and thickness of up to 4 ¾ offers great flotation.
Our All Rounder Range is available in 3 sizes:
10’ Cruiser – The 10′ Elite Cruiser is the smallest All Rounder Board in our range and is perfect for those looking for a shorter all rounder board that performs well in surf conditions. The classic lines of this shape with soft edges is perfect for turning and riding the waves, with the length allowing you to easily manoeuvre onto a wave
10’6” Cruiser – The 10’6″ Elite Cruiser is our most versatile size in our range and hence makes this a very popular model. Its wide body design and round tail makes it a stable and easy to ride board. This board has all the design elements of a performance board so is perfect in surf conditions.
11’4” Cruiser – The 11’4″ Elite Cruiser is a perfect board for those heavier paddlers, as well as the ideal family choice as the kids can paddle with you as it holds up to 120kg. A super stable board with loads of floatation, this is ideal for those looking at doing more flat paddling as the added length increases the speed and you will get from A to B faster on this board.
|All Rounder 10’||10”||32”||4’ ¼”||170 Ltr||1 Box 8’/2 Side||Up to 85kg|
|All Rounder 10’6”||10’6”||31”||4’ ¾”||180 Ltr||1 Box 8’/2 Side||Up to 95kg|
|All Rounder 11’4”||11’4”||33”||4’ ¾”||210 Ltr||1 Box 8’/2 Side||Up to 120kg|
I am new at paddling. What size board will I need?
When deciding the size for you the 11.4″ is perfect for a heavier rider or those beginners looking for a very stable choice. The 10’6″ or 10’ is for a regular or light weight paddler.
A board should be at least 30 inches wide for stability especially if you are a new sup paddler.
2. WAVE BOARD
Our wave board range is designed for performance, for those experienced riders who want the power and strength in a board to surf any size wave. Choosing a wave board comes down to the size of the surfer and your experience. Being a high performance board it is designed to perform on both small and larger waves. These are generally more unstable and can be harder to ride then other SUP Styles. But it is all designed for quick turns and wave surfing!
Our Surf Series All Wave Range is available in 2 sizes:
9’2″ Aqua Comp Wave Board was designed as a performance board for those experienced riders who want the power in a board to surf any size wave. This was designed to be ridden like a shortboard and handle small and large surf conditions.
9’10” Aqua Comp Wave Board is the largest of our wave board range. This was designed to be ridden like a shortboard and handle small and large surf conditions. This 9’10” size board was designed with extra length for those that want the reassurance of extra stability on the water.
|Surf Series 9’2″||9’2”||30”||4’4”||140 Ltr||8” Box/2 x 5” Side Fins||8.5kg|
|Surf Series 9’10”||9’10”||31”||4’4”||160 Ltr||8” Box/2 x 5” Side Fins||8.7kg|
3. DOWNWINDER RACEBOARD
This is a perfect choice for fitness training and is designed for speed and long distance paddling. Designed with a narrow shape which creates a long glide and fast board. This board is a stable, versatile board which is great for ocean or river paddles and gets you from A to B in record time.
|Race Board 12’6”||12’6”||29’5”||5’ 5/8”||230 Ltr||Centre Box Fin||Up to 230kg|
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING A STAND UP PADDLE BOARD?
- Choose a board with a centre carry handle so you can lift it easily.
- If you are using a board mainly for flat water then an all rounder board is the style. Go for one a little longer so that you glide faster through the water.
- The wider the board the more stable so go for one at least 30′ wide
- A carbon fibre paddle is a great choose as it has added strength but is still durable. Designed to add speed as you paddle a Carbon Paddle will impress.
- An adjustable paddle is great if more than 1 person is using the board and you are different heights
- Make sure your paddle height is right to prevent hurting your back
- Buy a quality board and paddle and you will not be disappointed.
Frequently asked Questions!
Why buy a CMP Brand SUP?
- CMP Boards have been designing and producing SUP boards since 2009 and distribute from there warehouse at Erina on the Central Coast of NSW. We welcome all our customers to view the quality of our boards prior to purchase at our showroom at Erina – 179 The Entrance Road Erina. Unfortunately we hear all too often that many online boards are not “what customers expected”. Only buy from a store that specialises in these products. Many stores are selling unknown brands and have no knowledge on these products. They sell anything and everything!! We are passionate about our water sports products and welcome you to contact us with any questions.
- The main focus of CMP when it originated was to deliver a quality high performance SUP board range that was affordable. CMP is now known for the quality product, high performance and affordable range they produce
- CMP Boards Australia specialise in Stand up Paddleboards and distribute Australia Wide
- These hand finished boards have a proven record for the professional finish and high level of performance in the water
- Uses the GORE USA two way air vent breather valve which is essential to prevent delamination
- Lightweight 24kgs/sqm EPS high density core
- Has a full length balsa wood stringer for strength
Frequently asked Questions!
What is the Best Paddle to use with my SUP?
Generally the advice is that a paddle should be 6-8″ above your head height. Usually we suggest to cut this longer say 8″ and try it for a while before you cut it too short. Once you get the right height you epoxy the handle on. It is a very simple process anyone can achieve!
There are many styles of paddles on the market including wood, carbon, plastic, aluminium and fibreglass. We believe a quality paddle is a wise investment and suggest any customer that will be using there Paddle board on regular basis invest in quality equipment from the start. A Carbon Fibre Paddle is a great choose as these are strong, glide through the water which means you will paddle faster and are very durable.
Aluminium Paddles are great for beginners or a family choice as these are generally adjustable to suit various heights when sharing a paddle board.
What happens if I ding my board?
There are various things you can do. It is important if it has a ding where water might get into the core then you don’t use it until it is repaired.
1. Take it to your local surfboard repair shop.
2. If it is a small scratch or ding then a repair kit might do the job.
Do you need to use a legrope with a SUP?
As these are a long board it is easy if you fall off to retrieve when using a legrope. A legrope is recommended and these are usually the same length as your SUP board.
Getting the right length is important as you do not want one too short as it can hit you when you fall off and also prevent you from being able to move around the board.
A straight legrope has more strength then a coiled legrope so is a good choice. Also a leash that is too thin will snap under the pressure of a long sup board.
How do I carry the board to the beach?
A stand up paddleboard is lighter then they look. It is important that they have a middle carry handle so you can carry this to the water.
We do sell a few different styles of SUP trolleys that are always handy when carrying over longer distances.